Eligibility Requirements | Travelex Insurance
Please ensure that the coverage you have selected meets your needs, that the details you have provided are correct, and that you have read the travel insurance policy before completing your purchase.
To be eligible for coverage, each traveller must, at the date of purchase and at the effective date of the policy:
- be a resident of Canada and covered under a government health insurance plan for the entire duration of your trip;
- have not already started any trip to be covered;
- be at least thirty (30) days of age, but less than sixty (60) years of age on the All Inclusive and Medical Only Plans and be at least thirty (30) days of age, but less than seventy-five (75) years of age on the Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption Plan;
- be fit to travel, and not travelling against the advice of a medical practitioner;
- not intend on obtaining medical treatment or consultation while abroad;
- not have a terminal illness for which a physician has estimated you have less than six (6) months to live;
- not have metastatic cancer (cancer that has spread from the original site to another place in your body);
- not require kidney dialysis;
- not have been prescribed or used home oxygen in the last twelve (12) months;
- never have had bone marrow, stem cell or organ transplant (except corneal transplant).
This policy may not cover claims related to pre-existing medical conditions, whether disclosed or not at the time of policy purchase. Additional limitations, restrictions and exclusions apply to your coverage. Please review your insurance policy carefully for full details.
It is your responsibility to be aware of all of your medical conditions, and to understand how this applies to your coverage. In the event of an accident, injury or sickness, your previous medical history may be reviewed when a claim is made.
Although we may undertake checks to verify your details, you must take reasonable care to make sure all information provided by you and/or on behalf of all travellers is, to the best of your knowledge and belief, accurate and complete. If you fail to disclose or misrepresent any material fact, or commit fraud, either at the time of this application or at the time of making a claim, this insurance policy may be rendered null and void, and any claim submitted may not be paid. Please note that the quote provided to you will remain the same as long as there are no material changes in the information you provided in the application prior to the date of your departure.
You may apply for coverage for your spouse and your dependent children travelling with you or your spouse under Family Coverage if:
- your name your spouse and your dependent children in your application; and
- you, your spouse and your dependent children meet the eligibility requirements above.
Spouse is the person who is legally married to you or the person who has been living with you for a continuous period of at least 1 year and is publicly represented as your domestic partner.
Dependent children are your unmarried natural, adopted or step-children who are dependent on you for maintenance and support, or your grandchildren who:
- are travelling with you or joining you during your trip,
- are at least 30 days of age, and
- are under 21 years of age (25 if in full-time education in Canada).
Children 21 years of age or over who are permanently mentally or physically challenged and incapable of self-support are covered.